Mortuary Railway Station is located on Regent Street, in the inner city suburb of Chippendale. This sandstone building was designed by James Barnet in the Victorian Free Gothic architectural style. The railway station opened as Mortuary on 29 June 1869 but its name was later changed to Regent Street. Funeral trains departed from this station, bound for Rookwood Cemetery, in the western suburbs. It was later used as platform for horses from 1938 and for parcels from 1950. It was restored by the State Rail Authority in 1981 and is now only used as a venue to launch special train services, informative displays and as a hired function centre.