Saturday 10 December 2016

Millers Point, Moore's Wharf

Moore’s Wharf is located on Walsh Bay in the inner city suburb of Millers Point. It was established in the 1830s by Henry Moore, the first Australian P&O agent. The sandstone warehouse was built by William Long using convict labour and stone quarried on site. Moore bought the wharf and accompanying building from Long in 1837. The warehouse was originally located further west but in 1978 was moved, stone by stone, to its present location when it became the Operational Headquarters of the Sydney Ports Corporation. The vessels moored at Moore's Wharf are used by Sydney Ports Corporation on Sydney Harbour.

10 comments:

  1. I think this is the first time I've seen or heard of a building built by convicts in Sydney. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are actually quite a few buildings built with convict labour around Sydney.

      Delete
  2. I love to see old buildings being reinvented .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sandstone for buildings. A great view - isn't it great when you can use one photo for different memes/challenges? Many thanks for sharing Moore's Wharf with ALL SEASONS and have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added this one to quite a few memes this week. :)

      Delete
  4. Great building and reflection. Thank you for sharing with "Through My Lens"

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting background of this building.
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/12/dominus-flevit.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great photo Jim. I always love the history behind the photo.
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting history behind the building (s). I am amazed when places are moved stone by stone from one location to another. #WordlessWednesday

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...