Macquarie Lighthouse is located at South Head, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, in the eastern suburb of Vaucluse. A flagstaff was erected on this site in 1791. Australia's first and longest operating navigational lighthouse was built here in 1818 at the command of Governor Lachlan Macquarie. The poor quality of the sandstone used, resulted in the rapid deterioration of the original tower. The current lighthouse was designed by James Barnet as a replica of the original but using stronger materials and first exhibited in 1883. The lighthouse was fully automated in 1976 and in 1989 the lighthouse keepers were withdrawn.