A lifeguard beach buggy has stopped between the warning signs at Maroubra Beach, in the eastern suburb of Maroubra. The patrolled area for swimmers is between the red and yellow flags and surf craft are prohibited from this area.
A filtered water bubbler and outdoor showers, locatedbeside the upper promenade in Goldstein Reserve at Coogee Beach, in the eastern suburb of Coogee. A man takes in the views of the Pacific Ocean while a woman walking a dog is preoccupied by her mobile phone.
The Botany War Memorial is located in Boralee Park, on the corner of Bay Street and Daniel Street, in the eastern suburb of Botany. It was unveiled in 1923 and features a luted granite column surmounted by a sphere and crown, resting on a sandstone and granite base on steps. Today is ANZAC Day, which commemorates the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War in 1915. Linked to: Shadow Shot Sunday, InSPIREd Sunday.
The former St Brigid's Monastery stands behind St Brigid's Catholic Church, on the corner of Marrickville Road and Livingstone Road, in the inner west suburb of Marrickville. The Passionists came from England and Ireland in 1887. They purchased property here in 1915 which consisted of a two storey residence and farmlands. The Monastery was built around the original building in the following years and St Brigid’s Church was opened in 1921. The former monastery is now an administration building for the church and schools.
This chimney bathed in golden sunset light is located at the former Randwick Tramway Workshops, along King Street, in the eastern suburb of Randwick. The workshop was established in 1881. The final trams ran in 1961 and the workshop yards became a bus depot and workshop until closing in 1988. The site was redeveloped for residential apartments but the chimney was preserved.
This electricity substation No.159 is located along Anzac Parade, in the eastern suburb of Kensington. The heritage listed building was built in the Federation Arts and Crafts architectural style, with Art Nouveau elements such as the style of lettering. The Municipal Council of Sydney logo, “MCS”, which was the name of the electrical utility company, appears on the facade. The identification number “No 159” and the words "Electricity Sub-station" in relief sit above the main doorway.
The River Canoe Club of New South Wales is located along Richardson Crescent beside the Cooks River in the inner west suburbs of Marrickville. This view is from Gough Whitlam Park in Undercliffe and Tempe railwaty station is in the background. 'River Flow' is a mural created by artists Zachary Bennett-Brook and Kim Siew in 2020. The artwork uses indigenous styled patterns which represent water and meeting places with silhouettes of local mullet fish, water birds and plants found along the edges of the river. The canoes and kayaks paddle throughout the artwork, a nod to Australia’s oldest canoe clubhouse – a place where canoes and kayaks were once crafted from wood by hand.
'Mary Mother of All Nations' is a sculpture located on the grounds of St Brigid's Catholic Church, on the corner of Marrickville Road and Livingstone Road, in the inner west suburb of Marrickville. The Monastery was built here in 1915 and St Brigid’s Church was opened in 1921. Vietnamese parishioners requested a statue of Our Lady to be placed outside the church, around which they could gather to pray as they do in Vietnam. Artist and sculptor Daniel Dominguez created the brass statue in 2006, modelled on the statue of Mary Queen of the World in the square outside Saigon Cathedral. The features were inspired by the Renaissance Della Robbia Madonna in Florence.
The Calga Place entrance to Bronte Park and Bronte Beach, looking out to Nelson Bay in the eastern suburb of Bronte. A unique surfboard shaped sign outlines the Surfers Code, a set of universal rulesfor surfers to follow.
The Doncaster Hotel is located on the corner of Anzac Parade and Doncaster Avenue, in the eastern suburb of Kensington. The heritage listed pub was built in 1923 in the Inter War style but in the 1970s had modications made to the facade.
This shrine is located on the grounds of St Brigid's Catholic Church, on the corner of Marrickville Road and Livingstone Road, in the inner west suburb of Marrickville. The Monastery was built here in 1915 and St Brigid’s Church was opened in 1921. The Shrine was built in1931 as a gift from E.J. Falvey to Reverend Casimir Maguire for his work done. It houses sculptures which depict the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
The 'Museum of Love' is not actually a museum but an immersive art installation on the corner of George Street and Playfair Street, at The Rocks. The gallery is in the former Union Bond Store, originally built as a warehouse but later used as a bank. Linked to: Signs, Signs,Thankful Thursday,Theme Day.