Birrell Street Manor is located on the corner of Birrell Street and Tasman Street, in the eastern suburb of Bondi. This eccentric 19th century building, which has been a saddlery, a butcher's shop and a grocery store, is now part residence, part chiropractor and osteopath studio.
The Rainbow Street Public School is located along Rainbow Street, in the eastern suburb of Randwick. This brightly coloured, heritage listed building was built in 1929. Today is the first day back at school for public school students after the summer holidays.
This small monument is located on the rocky shore at Silver Beach, in the southern suburb of Kurnell. It marks the first landing on Australian soil by Captain James Cook,on the shore of Botany Bay in 1770. The English explorer, navigator and cartographer led the first recorded European expedition to navigate and map the eastern coastline of Australia. When the First Fleet arrived here to create a colony, they found this area unsuitable for settlement, so they moved further north, arriving at Sydney Cove in Port Jackson on 26 January 1788. This day is now celebrated as Australia Day, our national day. The grander Captain Cook Memorial Obelisk is located in the reserve behind the beach but this monument remains as a marker for the actual spot where the expedition came ashore.
The South African War Memorial stands in Observatory Park on Observatory Hill, in the inner city suburb of Millers Point. The memorial is a sandstone block obelisk with semi-circular stone surround, faced with a bronze dedicatory name plaque and a guns dating back to this era. It is dedicated in 1940 to the volunteers from New South Wales who answered the call to who responded to the call to fight in the Boer War (1899-1902) in South Africa. This location provides a great view towards Dawes Point and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
The front entrance of the Mitchell Wing of the State Library of New South Wales, is located along Shakespeare Place, off Macquarie Street. The State Library of New South Wales is the oldest library in Australia. The Mitchell Wing was completed in 1910 and built to house the immense and unrivalled collection of Australiana donated by book collector David Scott Mitchell to the people of New South Wales. The facade of this heritage listed building is designed in the Neo Classical architectural style. The "Form 1 Planet" sign in the scene on the banners is promoting a photographic exhibition currently in the Exhibition Galleries.
The ornate Robert Brough Memorial Fountain is located near the Nightingale Wing of Sydney Hospital. This three tiered cast iron fountain from the Colebrookdale (UK) factory features a group of brolgas surmounted by black swans. It is dedicated to Robert Brough (1857 - 1906) an actor born in England and made his debut there as a comedian in 1870. He and his actress wife, Florence Trevelyn, travelled to Australia in 1885, where their combined talents in musical comedy endeared them to audiences.
'Exxopolis' is a large-scale inflatable sculpture temporarily located outside the Royal Botanic Gardens on the Sydney Opera House forecourt for the Festival of Sydney. This luminarium is a labyrinth of tunnels and spacious domes constructed of translucent vinyl filled with a kaleidoscope of light and colour. The name Exxopolis acknowledges Eggopolis, the first luminarium created by Architects of Air, the ‘GG’ having been replaced by ‘XX’ to refer to the 20th luminarium design and the 20th anniversary of the company. In 2011, "'Mirazozo'" was another luminarium located at this site.
Paddington Reservoir Gardens are on the corner of Oxford Street and Oatley Road, in the inner city suburb of Paddington. The remains of a former 19th century underground reservoir were redeveloped in 2009 to create an urban sanctuary with lawns, flower beds, shaded seating anda fish pondwater feature.
Holy Cross Catholic Church is located along Adelaide Street, in the eastern suburb of Bondi Junction. This heritage listed brick building in the parish of Woollhara was designed by Austin Mackay in the art deco architectural style and built in 1940.
The John Thompson Fountain is located in Walter Read Reserve, in the inner city suburb of Paddington. It is part of the Paddington Reservoir Gardens, the redeveloped 19th century reservoir, at the corner of Oatley Road and Oxford Street. John Thompson was a poet and broadcaster who loved Paddington.
The Imperial Hotel is located on the corner of Oxford Street and Underwood Street, in the inner city suburb of Paddington. It was built in 1910 in the Edwardian architectural style and has been owned by the same family for over 100 years. Yesterday was the twelfth day of Christmas so the decorations on the facade should be coming down now.
This gas street lamp is located along Harrington Street at The Rocks. Gas lighting in the streets of Sydney was inaugurated in 1841. The first electric street lights were switched on in 1904. This is one of a few remaining gas lights and it is still functioning.
The Argyle Bridge, built in 1911, carries Cumberland Street over the Argyle Cut and Argyle Street at The Rocks. These obelisk shaped pylons with original light fittings are on either side of the road at the north and south approaches to the bridge.
This unusual location sign featuring a nest and giant egg was located in Argyle Street at The Rocks. It was one of the signs used to promote the annualThe Rocks Village Bizarre.The event features night market stalls on Friday nightsin November and December along with some very crazy and bizarre entertainment.