The Outdoor Gallery Art Prize is an annual event that takes place at Cook Park, on the Botany Bay foreshore in the southern suburb of Kyeemagh. It is part of the Rockdale Arts Festival which this year ran from 14 March to 29 March 2015, to showcase the talent of local emerging and professional artists.
This chalk artwork was created in Customs Square as a promotion for Scenic World, a tourist attraction at Katoomba, 100 kilometres west of the city. Visitors were invited to have their photo taken on this 3D drawing and enter their photo in a competition to win tickets to the attraction.
The Wangi Queen is a ferry which operates tours of Sydney Harbour from Campbells Cove at The Rocks. The Sydeny Opera House is seen here in the background as the Hop On Hop Off Ferry rushes past and the Carnival Legend is the cruise ship at the Overseas Passenger Terminal. The ferry Wangi Queen was built in 1922 as the Ettalong and operated on Brisbane Water on the Central Coast of New South Wales. In 1938 it was registered as the Ettalong Star and changed to the the Profound in 1951. From the 1940s to the 1970s, it was used on Sydney Harbour. When the ferry began operating on Lake Macquarie in 1975 its name was changed again to the now iconic Wangi Queen. It returned to Sydney Harbour in 2012. Click here to view all participants of Weekend Reflections
This heritage listed building is a former electricity power station, mining museum and chemical laboratory, located between George Street and Hickson Road at The Rocks. This view is from the Hickson Road side, with the walkway to the Sydney Harbour Bridge seen on the right. It was designed by the Government Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon in the Federation Warehouse style with Romanesque and Art Nouveau detailing. The electricity power station and workshops were constructed in the lower part of the building by 1902 with the mining museum, chemical laboratories and octagonal chimney stack in the upper levels of the building constructed by 1909. It became known as the Earth Exchange in 1990 but since 1996 it has been fitted out for office space.
This phone booth is located outside a former warehouse, along Playfair Street at The Rocks. With the proliferation of mobile phones, many pay phones have been removed from the city and suburbs. Recently, some of the remaining phone booths have been repurposed to feature Wi-Fi hotspots, for access to the internet using smartphones and tablets. These phone booths have a pink cube on top with a white Wi-Fi symbol and promotional signs on the glass.
This view of Campbells Cove at The Rocks is from the boardwalk at the northern end. The Southern Swan is a barquentine built in Denmark in 1922. It made the voyage from England to Australia in 1988 to take part in the Australian Bicentennial First Fleet Re-enactment. It is now is berthed at Campbell's Cove where it provides day trips and exclusive charters on Sydney Harbour and occasional offshore trips up and down the New South Wales coast.
Campbell's Storesis a row of heritage-listed sandstone warehouses along Circular Quay West at The Rocks. The warehouses which overlook Campbells Cove, with views across Circular Quay to the Sydney Opera House, were constructed between 1839 and 1861. These former warehouses have been converted into restaurants with the Waterfront Restaurant adorned with nautical paraphernalia and a replica of a square rigged sailing ship mast above the outdoor terrace. The Australian Steamship Navigation Company building is on the left and Bushells Warehouse can be seen behind it.
This is part of the Community Mural which is on the walls of the King George V Recreation Centre along Cumberland Street at the Rocks. It depicts the history of the area and acknowledges the Gadigal people, the Aboriginal clan who originally inhabited the Sydney area. It was created by Peter Day in 1983 on the viaduct wall of the southern approaches to the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Painted in the Tromp L'Oeil technique which creates an optical illusion by an imagined landscape and arcades painted. In 2010 the mural was restored and extended with original residents and community groups helping to complete it.
The southern end of Cumberland Street at The Rocks has become a pedestrian mall with benches, tables and contemporary shades. The Reynall building and Lawson House on the left are former warehouses which have been redeveloped into office space and apartments. The ramp on the right carries the Bradfield Highway from the Central Business District to the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
This view of the former Coroner's Court building at The Rocks is from Circuar Quay West. It was designed by Walter Liberty Vernon and built in 1906, in the Federation Free Style of architecture. The building is built on sandstone which is partially exposed and on display under the arch here. Further up another arch now features a glass window which reflects the sky.
The Rocks Square provides a civic forecourt to The Rocks Centre. The paved space includes a cascade water feature, a shade structure and seating areas surrounded by historic buildings. The Rocks Centre consists of Scarborough House built in 1994, which incorporates Penrhyn House along Argyle Street, between Playfair Street and Kendall Lane, which was built in 1918. The development houses a retail arcade, cafes, restaurants, apartments and The Rocks Visitors Centre.
The Rail Emergency Response Unit is located on the corner of Pitt Street and Eddy Avenue at Haymarket. The sandstone structure is part of the ramp which runs up to a bridge over Eddy Avenue connecting to Central railway station and Railway Square. The unit responds to emergency incidents involving the rail network such as derailments and automatic fire alarms within the underground rail network and nearby stations. This part of the structure houses the fire trucks.
The Sea Guardian is on display at the Australian National Maritime Museum at Darling Harbour. It was built in 1969 by Camper and Nicholsons of Southampton and was originally known as the RNLB R.Hope Roberts, during its rescue mission service in Ireland and the United Kingdom. It was sold to Australia, renamed the ANL Sea Guardian in 1993, the lifeboat was stationed in Wollongong in New South Wales and St Helens in Tasmania. It is best known for its rescue work in the tragic 1998 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race, where it pulled 10 yachts to safety and in 2007 it again rescued stricken Sydney to Hobart competitors caught in strong winds 43 nautical miles off Tasmania.
St John the Baptist Anglican Church is located along Alt Street, in the inner west suburb of Ashfield. This church consists of three sections which were built at different times.The central part of the church was designed by Edmund Blacket and built in 1843. A sandstone at the rear was completed in 1875 and the tower at the front was added in 1901.
"The Challenge" is a bronze sculpture of a bull created by Alan Somerville in 1999. It stands in the middle of the Hordern Arcade in World Square, with entry from the corner of Pitt Street and Liverpool Street. The plaque reads: The bull, a mythological beast, is the embodiment of spirituality and symbolises the qualities of strength, endurance and tenacity necessary in meeting the many challenges encountered in achieving success.
This clock tower above Sydney Terminal Building at Central railway station, viewed from Pitt Street near Eddy Avenue. Central is Sydney's largest railway station, located at the southern end of the Central Business District at Haymarket. It is a terminal for country trains and the largest junction for city trains. This heritage listed sandstone building was designed in the Federation Free Classical architectural style by the Government Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon and built between 1901 and 1906, with the clocktower completed in 1921.
These telephone boxes are located near the corner of Brown Street and King Street, in the inner city suburb of Newtown. These Telstra pay phones have been decorated with the colours of the rainbow flag or pride flag to celebrate the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras which held its parade in the city last Saturday night. The third telephone box is a specially installed "Disco InFono" which features a mirror ball, smoke machine, laser lights and plays the disco music anthem: Disco Inferno.
This crane barge is moored in Sydney Harbour, off the inner west suburb of Balmain East. The old Balmain East Ferry wharf has been demolished and the crane barge is being used in the construction of a new ferry wharf. The Sydney Harbour Bridge can be seen in the distance.
This is one of two walkways in Blackwattle Bay Park, in the inner city suburb of Glebe. The rows of columns extend from the former Glebe Incinerator down to Blackwattle Bay. The promenades are an interpretation of council sheds, designed by Walter Burley Griffin which once stood here as part of his landscaping of the site. At the western end of each steel shed structure is a D-shaped sandstone wall. This southern one seen here is original but the northern one is a new addition, interpreting the lost original. Part of the Sydney skyline can be seen, in the distance.
Badde Manors is a well known cafe on the corner of Glebe Point Road and Francis Street, in the inner city suburb of Glebe. Various artworks adorn the exterior and interior of the former Glebe Hotel which was built in 1864 in the Victorian architectural style, although it has been altered. The cafe is not only known for its eclectic menu but is also for its community involvement with donations to local school and university special events, charitable organisations and being actively engaged in issues that promote the local community. The smaller Gelato shop in the same building is currently for sale.
St Michael's Catholic Church is located along Croydon Road, in the southern suburb of Hurstville. It was built in 1909 in the Federation architectural style with some alterations and additions made in 2000.
These mooring posts are located along the western foreshore of Cockle Bay at Darling Harbour. This view stretches across the bay to Pyrmont Bridge and the Cockle Bay Wharf building, on the eastern side of Cockle Bay.
Dockside Pavilion is a floating event venue which has been built in Cockle Bay at Darling Harbour. It is located beside the Convention Jetty, near the site of the former Sydney Convention Centre. This pavilion is a temporary venue which will remain in the bay until the the new International Convention Centre is completed.
The Balmain East Ferry wharf sits at the end of Darling Street, in the inner west suburb of Balmain East. This is a historical photo now, since the wharf was demolished recently and a new ferry wharf is currently under construction.The Sydney Harbour Bridge and Barangaroo can be seen in the distance.
The western side of the Anzac War Memorial, which stands in Hyde Park South. The building was designed by Bruce Dellit in the Art Deco architectural style and completed in 1934. The sculptures and bas reliefs that adorn the building were created by Rayner Hoff, who also created the powerful "Sacrifice" sculpture inside. It was built as a memorial to the Australian Imperial Force of World War I and is the focus of commemoration ceremonies on Anzac Day, 25th April, which marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the war.
The former Terminus Hotel is located on the corner of Harris Street and John Street, in the inner west suburb of Pyrmont. This heritage listed pub was built in 1917 in the Federation Free architectural style and stood at the end of the tram service from the city to Pyrmont. The dilapidated hotel has been abandoned since 1983 and become overgrown with vines. The wealthy owners once planned to redevelop it along with a portfolio of historic buildings but are now selling the properties to create a charitable foundation.