This memorial is located along Macquarie Street. on the south west external wall of the Royal Botanic Gardens. The cast bronze wall plate depicts an Australian Light Horse Trooper with three horses. It is dedicated to approximately 140,000 horses, only one of which was allowed back into Australia, that served in the Desert Campaign in the First World War. Inscriptions: Erected by members of The Desert Mounted Corps and friends to the Gallant Horses who carried them over Sinai Desert into Palestine 1915 - 1918. They suffered wounds thirst, hunger and weariness. Almost beyond endurance but never failed. They did not come home. We will never forget them.
This fast ferry is moored at the Circular Quay ferry wharves with the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the background. This photo was taken a few years ago, which is why the people walking along the shore are not social distancing.
The former Globe Theatre, located along George Street, was designed by Clarence Backhouse in the Renaissance/Moorish style in 1914. The exterior originally had a huge globe surmounted on top of the central pediment of the building. The theatre closed in 1924, when a new floor was erected across the building at the level of the former balcony, and the upper area became a radio studio, while the ground floor was converted for retail use. There are plans to redevelop the building but the National Trust has put in a submission to the City of Sydney to oppose the proposed demolition.
The concourse entrance to Tempe railway station viewed from the car park beside Richardson Crescent, in the inner west suburb of Tempe. Tempe once was a junction of the Illawarra and East Hills railway lines but now is only served by Sydney Trains T4 Illawarra line. The station was originally built in 1884 and this footbridge was built in 1918 by Dorman Long.
Woolwich Dock is a historic shipyard of Sydney Harbour, in the lower north shore suburb of Woolwich. Sitting in a sandstone cutting, it provides boat owners with berthing, repair and maintenance services. A First Fleet Class ferry is seen in the distance on the Lane Cove River heading towards the Parramatta River. The skyscrapers at North Sydney and the Sydney Harbour Bridge are in the distance.
"St Elmo" is a heritage listed house along Harrow Road, in the southern suburb of Bexley. It was designed by William Kenwood and built in 1897 in the Victorian architectural style with some Federation architectural style features.
Memorial Square is located along Forest Road, in the southern suburb of Hurstville. The Hurstville War Memorial which stands in the centre of the square was erected in 1922 to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.
This heritage listed commercial building is located along King Street, in the inner city suburb of Newtown. This two storey building is adjacent to the Mission Uniting Church and is part of the school hall built in 1890. The front section of the hall was demolished in 1916 and replaced by these shops designed by Alfred Newman and built in the Federation Free style. It was once home to Bray’s Music Store but now houses a florist and a Latin restaurant. The outdoor tables have currently been removed due to social distancing regulations but customers can sit on the chairs when they wait for their takeaway orders.
This commercial building is located along King Street, in the inner city suburb of Newtown. It was built in the Victorian Classical architectural style. The shop on the ground floor has a Juice Bar and sells Vietnamese Pork Rolls or Bánh mì (a baguette split lengthwise and filled with savoury ingredients like pulled pork and salad vegetables).
This commercial building is located along King Street, in the inner city suburb of Newtown. The W.Thompson building was built in 1885 in the Victorian Classical architectural style. It now houses a Vietnamese restaurant and a jewellery store.
St. Peter's Anglican Church is located on the corner of Bourke Street and St Peters Street, in the inner city suburb of Darlinghurst. This heritage listed church was designed by O. H. Lewis and built in 1867 in the Gothic Revival style.
Dudley House is a commercial building located along George Street which features Downtown Souvenirs on the ground floor and offices upstairs. Sydney Tower rises above. There are plans to redevelop the building but the National Trust has put in a submission to the City of Sydney to oppose the proposed demolition.