The former Globe Theatre, located along George Street, was designed by Clarence Backhouse in the Renaissance/Moorish style in 1914. The exterior originally had a huge globe surmounted on top of the central pediment of the building. The theatre closed in 1924, when a new floor was erected across the building at the level of the former balcony, and the upper area became a radio studio, while the ground floor was converted for retail use. There are plans to redevelop the building but the National Trust has put in a submission to the City of Sydney to oppose the proposed demolition.
Linked to: Signs, Signs.