This sunset view of the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge was from Mrs Macquaries Point, in The Domain. Taking in the view is The Pontoon, a two level boat with three metre high glass walls that cruises around Sydney Harbour.
This monument is located in Green Point Reserve, overlooking Camp Cove in the eastern suburb of Watsons Bay. It commemorates the first landing point in Sydney Harbour of Arthur Phillip and the First Fleet. The stone plaque reads: On this beach (Camp Cove), Governor Phillip first landed in Port Jackson Jan. 21 1788. R.A.N.S. Click here to view all participants of Signs, Signs
This former gun emplacement is located at South Head, in the eastern suburb of Watsons Bay. Fortifications at South Head were completed in 1854 but weren't armed with guns until 1872. South Head Fort or Hornby Battery was the Examination Battery for Port Jackson during World War 1 and World War 2. This view is from the southern gun pit, towards North Head and out to the Pacific Ocean.
Hornby Lighthouse is located at South Head, in the eastern suburb of Watsons Bay. It was built in 1858 by public demand after the tragic shipwrecks of the Dunbar and the Catherine Adamson in 1857. It was opened by Governor of New South Wales Sir William Thomas Denison and named after the family of his wife, whose father became Admiral Sir Phipps Hornby, Commander in Chief of the British Pacific Fleet in the 1860s. The lighthouse was designed by colonial architect, Alexander Dawson and features distinctive red and white vertical stripes.
This lighthouse keeper's cottage is located at South Head, in the eastern suburb of Watsons Bay. It is located close to the Hornby Lighthouse, in the Sydney Harbour National Park. Two sandstone cottages were designed by colonial architect Alexander Dawson and built in 1858in the Victorian architectural style.
This stone obelisk stands at Green Point, at the southern end of Camp Cove, in the eastern suburb of Watsons Bay. It was erected in the 1850s, at what was then known as Laings Point, as a navigational marker for early navigation into Port Jackson. Green Point was also the southern end of the cross-harbour boom net extending 1,480 metres to Georges Head, which was built during World War 2. It caught one of the Japanese midget submarines that entered Sydney Harbour in May 1942. A winch was used to open a gate to allow large ships to enter the harbour but all that remains is the concrete floor of the winch room.
St Nicolas Anglican Church is located along Brook Street, on the corner of Carr Street in the eastern suburb of Coogee. It was built in 1887 in the Gothic architectural style and reconstructed in 1906 after almost total destruction by fire on 18 August 1905.
The Balmoral Rotunda is located in Hunter Park at Balmoral Beach, in the north shore suburb of Mosman. This bandstand was built in 1930 as part of a beach improvement program and has hosted many bands, festivals and events.
This Supercat Class ferry is docked at the new ferry wharf in the eastern suburb of Rose Bay. The ferry was acquired in 2000 and named after Saint Mary MacKillop, who was canonised in 2010 as Australia's first Saint.
The 'Coach and Horses Hotel' is located on the corner of Avoca Street and Alison Road in the eastern suburb of Randwick. It was built in 1856 as a general store and pleasure garden, under the name of “Vauxhall Gardens”. In 1859, the first Randwick to Sydney horse drawn omnibus ran from the hotel.
'Glanmire is located along Alison Road, in the eastern suburb of Randwick. This was built in 1896 in the Victorian Boom architectural style. It is one of a pair and with 'Seabird' built in 1893, are now part of Marcellin College, a private high school.
'Corana and Hygeia' are terrace houses located along Avoca Street, in the eastern suburb of Randwick. These heritage listed homes were built in 1894 in the Victorian architectural style. These former residential buildings are now a boutique hotel known as Randwick Lodge.
The Zetland Hotel is located on the corner of Bourke Street and Elizabeth Street, in the inner city suburb of Zetland. The original three story hotel in the Victorian architectural style was built in 1890. It was reduced to two storeys and altered to an art deco style in 1936. It has also been previously known as the Green Square Hotel.
St Brigid Catholic Church is located on the corner of Brook Street and Waltham Street in the eastern suburb of Coogee. It was designed by Albert Edmund Bates and built in 1921 in the Byzantine architectural style.
This colourful sunset over Sydney Harbour was viewed from Mrs Macquaries Point, in The Domain. The sun sets behind the Sydney Opera House, near the southern end of the Sydney Harbour Bridge at this time of year.
These sandstone heritage listed buildings are located along George Street, at The Rocks. TheUnion Bond Store was designed by John Bibb and built in 1842 as a warehouse and later used as a bank. The Merchants House was also designed by John Bibb and built in 1848 in the Greek Revival architectural style as a town house and office.
Richmond Villa is located on top of a rock shelf above the level of Kent Street, in the inner city suburb of Millers Point. The heritage listed house was designed by Mortimer Lewis and built in 1851 in the Gothic Revival architectural style. It is constructed from sandstone which was quarried in this vicinity.
Pottinger Park, affectionately known as 'The Paddock', is located along Pottinger Street, in the inner city suburb of Millers Point. This small laneway leads up to Downshire Street and Windmill Street. This was originally a foreshore reserve, since the Walsh Bay wharves and Hickson Road, below Pottonger Street were built on reclaimed land.
This sunset view across Sydney Harbour towards the Garden Island dockyard is from Yarranabbe Park, in the eastern suburb of Darling Point. The Sydney Harbour Bridge and a couple of sails of the Sydney Opera House provide a silhouetted backdrop.
This street lamp is located along Hickson Road at The Rocks. This style of elegant lamps was commissioned by the Sydney Department of Public Works for the historic Rocks precinct. These buildings along this street are redeveloped former warehouses, including the Australian Steamship Navigation Company building.