The Long Gully Bridge is a sandstone and concrete arch bridge in the northern suburbs. The original suspension bridge was constructed in 1892 by a team of land developers and known as the North Sydney Bridge. The engineer responsible for the construction in the Federation Gothic style bridge with medieval motifs as embellishments, was J.E. Coyle. A tramway was extended over the bridge in 1914 but most land development came much later. The bridge was poorly maintained and needed to be replaced by a concrete arch span in 1939. The sandstone towers that were considered a landmark and tourist attraction were retained. The bridge carries Miller Street over a gully from Cammeray to Northbridge, the suburb named for its location north of this bridge. This view is from the Northbridge end, back towards Cammeray.