The Hotel Palisadeis located on the corner of Dalgety Road and Bettington Street, in the inner city suburb of Millers Point. It was designed by Henry Deane Walsh in the Federation Free architectural style and built in 1912. It was refurbished in 2015 and now features the Harry Deane Bar, a rooftop cocktail bar, viewed here from the Bettington Street entrance of Barangaroo Reserve. The Hotel Palisade name came from the palisade fence built between Munn Street and Bettington Street.
These four heritage listed terrace houses located along Young Street were part of the first Government House site. They were built in 1875 in the Victorian architectural style. They were government offices from 1875-1937, nurses accommodation from 1937-1982 and then storage space from 1982-1988. IThey are now the main office for Sydney Living Museums which includes the adjacent Museum of Sydney.
This artwork is on a construction hoarding at the edge of Barangaroo Reserve at Nawi Cove, in the inner city suburb of Barangaroo. In the distance are terrace houses and hotels on top of a cliff in Millers Point. "Home Sweet Home, 2017" by Reko Rennie is part of "Aurora Eora", apublic exhibition of artworks. The design combines the iconography of the artist's heritage, merging traditional diamond-shaped designs and repetitive patterning to subvert romantic ideologies of Aboriginal identity. The male Kamilaroi diamond symbol is a family crest of sorts and the bright pop-inspired colour references the artist's affinity to graffiti and hip-hop culture from his youth. Similar artwork has featured on a building in Surry Hills which can be seen here.
Barangaroo Wharf 1 is located at Wulugul Walk along the shore of Darling Harbour, in the inner city suburb of Barangaroo. It is serviced by Sydney Ferries' F3 Paramatta River and F4 Darling Harbour services. It opened in June 2017 as a replacement for King Street Wharf 3.
"Anadara" is a residential building between Barangaroo Avenue and Wulugul Walk along the shore of Darling Harbour, in the inner city suburb of Barangaroo. It was designed by Richard Francis-Jones and built in 2016 with the sculptured lines of the building reflecting its namesake inspiration, an Anadara being a Sydney cockle. The striking, white curvilinear form has seen it nicknamed "The Cloud".
The outdoor exhibits of the Australian National Maritime Museum at Darling Harbour. The Waterfront Pavilion showcases the danger and drama of military life at sea, through a high-tech exhibition and also has function areas looking out on the harbour. It was developed to mark the centenary of World War I and commemorate over 100 years of service by the Royal Australian Navy.
The heritage listed former Australian Gaslight Company buildings are located along Hickson Road, in the inner city suburb of Barangaroo. The five storey sandstone building was designed by Henry Ginn and built in 1845 in the Victorian architectural style, as an office and warehouse for the Australian Gaslight Company. It is constructed on a cliff presenting a single storey above to Jenkins Street, which is also where the stairs lead. It incorporates a former stone cottage designed in the Federation Warehouse style and built in 1899 which had a later addition, making it a two storey building. The Millers Point Gasworks operated on this site along Darling Harbour until it was decommissioned in 1921 and its above ground structures were demolished by 1925. Hickson Road was later extended through the site separating these buildings from the area which became part of Sydney's port facilities.
The Whitford Memorial was created in 1941 and stands in the middle of Five Dock Park, in the inner west suburb of Five Dock. This war memorial is a brick structure with three steps leading to a mosaic tiled surface with the letters RAAF and the Air Force three ring symbol. At the rear of the structure is a brass plaque with the Australian Air Force wings and wreath. The inscription reads: Dedicated by citizens and friends to the memory of Pilot Officer James Richard Whitford, R.A.A.F. killed on war service at Point Cook, Victoria, November 29th 1939 aged 27 years.
This artwork on a large rock is located in Fred Kelly Place, in the inner west suburb of Five Dock. "Piazza Eolie" is a mosaic mural created by Noula Diamantopoulos in 2013 as an homage to the local Italian community, inspired by the history and stories of the Aeolians. As an entry-marker into the piazza it features a fishing boat adorned with mosaic elements on one side and on this side an image of Eolie, the God of Wind. In the distance is the post office.
The Rotary Commemorative Clock Tower is near the centre of Bigge Park in the southwestern suburb of Liverpool.It was erected in 1955 to commemorate the golden 50th Anniversary of Rotary. It features circular terraces of plantings, brickwork, tiled concrete and a low metal-rail fence descend from the base and end with a surrounding paving in the stylised form of the rotary wheel. The Alex Grimson Memorial Music Shell nearby was erected in 1974 as a memorial to a former Mayor.
This hand painted sign is on the wall of a Hay Street entrance of Paddy's Markets, in the inner city suburb of Haymarket. Originally known as the Vegetable Market building, it was built in 1909 in the Edwardian architectural style and the façade was preserved. Paddy's Markets have operated in Haymarket since 1834. It is part of a series of murals designed by a local artist David Doyle to mimic some of the past advertising signs. Another sign at another entrance can be seen here.
The "Strickland Building" contains residential flats and retail shops along Balfour Street, in the inner city suburb of Chippendale. It was designed by R. M. Broderick and built in the early 1900s in the Federation Arts and Crafts architectural style.
This row of shops, cafes and restaurants are part of the Capitol Theatre along Pitt Street, in the inner city suburb of Haymarket. It was originally designed by George McRae and built in 1892 in the Federation Free Classical architectural style for use as the Belmore Markets. In 1916, the building was converted to a hippodrome designed specifically for the Wirth Bros Circus. It was converted into the Capitol Theatre in 1928 by John Eberson, a renowned American designer of theatrically themed theatres. In 1981, a conservation order saved it from demolition and it was restored and reconstructed in the 1990s. It is currently the musical Kinky Boots which is why it is bathed in red light at night.
This mural of a woman is on the side wall of a shop along King Street, in the inner city suburb of Newtown. This artwork is viewed from King Lane, the back laneway which features some less impressive tagging on fences and walls.
"Brundah" is a heritage listed house located along Liverpool Road, in the western suburb of Enfield. It was built in 1886 in the Victorian architectural style for wine merchant Thomas Alt. In 1915, the Methodist Church bought the property for a Theological College and later built the nearby "Leigh Hall" in 1928. Much of the land, including the former stables, was sold in 1987 for a residential development with Brundah and Leigh Hall used for a school teaching English mostly to overseas students or recent migrants. After the college relocated in 1998, Brundah became the Shirdi Sai Temple, a Hindu temple for the followers of Sai Baba.
Tower One is one of three new skyscrapers known as International Towers, in the inner city suburb of Barangaroo. The three towers have been built in the block bounded by Barangaroo Avenue, Watermans Quay, Scotch Road and Exchange Place, with the walkways Shipwright Walk and Mercantile Walk between them. This is the view from Barangaroo Reserve but this won't last long since construction on another tower has begun in the foreground.
This is an abstract view of the Hornsby Water Clock or Hornsby Water Sculpture which is located in Hornsby Mall, a pedestrian mall in Florence Street, in the northern suburb of Hornsby. "Man, Time and the Environment" is a fusion of kinetic sculpture, decorative fountain, musical instrument and a functional clock. Unveiled in 1993, it was created by Australian sculptor Victor Cusack from cast bronze, stainless steel, and toughened plate glass. It features three types of water-powered clocks, a 4th century BC Greek clepsydra, an 11th century Chinese water wheel clock and a 17th century Swiss pendulum clock, plus a 17-note bronze tubular bell carillon that rings the hour based on a design found in an 18th century English church. The clock face bears the inscription "Dare We Forget" as a reminder of the importance of preserving the environment.
These stairs are located in the middle of Barangaroo Reserve, in the inner city suburb of Barangaroo. This was once the site of a concrete industrial container terminal which has been transformed into a foreshore park, with sandstone blocks used to build a naturalistic headland and terraces, landscaped with native trees and shrubs. The sandstone used at Barangaroo Reserve was extracted from beneath, in what is now The Cutaway, the reserve's large cultural space.
This is part of an artwork on a construction hoarding at the edge of Barangaroo Reserve at Nawi Cove, in the inner city suburb of Barangaroo. "Studies of Barangaroo" by Tony Albert is part of "Aurora Eora", an exhibition of public artworks. It pays homage to Barangaroo, wife of Bennelong, who had senior status as a central figure in the early colonisation of Sydney's harbour.
"Leigh Hall" is located along Liverpool Road, in the western suburb of Enfield. It was built in 1886 in the Neo-Georgian Revival architectural style as the Methodist Theological College. The name commemorates the Rev. Samuel Leigh, the first Wesleyan Missionary to the colonies. In 1974, it became the United Theological College following a merger between Leigh College (Methodist), Camden College (Congregational) and St Andrews College (Presbyterian). In 1987 much of the land was sold for residential development but Leigh Hall was used for the Australian College of Languages, teaching English to overseas students or recent migrants until it relocated in 1998. It is now occupied by the Australian International Academy, an Islamic private school.
This is an abstract view of the Hornsby Water Clock or Hornsby Water Sculpture which is located in Hornsby Mall, a pedestrian mall in Florence Street, in the northern suburb of Hornsby. "Man, Time and the Environment" is a fusion of kinetic sculpture, decorative fountain, musical instrument and a functional clock. Unveiled in 1993, it was created by Australian sculptor Victor Cusack from cast bronze, stainless steel, and toughened plate glass. It features three types of water-powered clocks, a 4th century BC Greek clepsydra, an 11th century Chinese water wheel clock and a 17th century Swiss pendulum clock, plus a 17-note bronze tubular bell carillon that rings the hour based on a design found in an 18th century English church.