Tuesday 22 May 2018

Sydney Olympic Park, Abattoir Heritage Precinct

Abattoir Heritage Precinct is bounded by Herb Elliott Avenue, Showground Road and Dawn Fraser Avenue, at Sydney Olympic Park, in the western suburb of Homebush Bay. This building was originally the administration block for the State Abattoirs, designed by Walter Liberty Vernon and built in 1915 in the Federation architectural style. The buildings were redeveloped for the Sydney 2000 Olympic and Paralympic Games for use by the Sydney Olympic Park Authority. They are now used for sporting administration offices, visitor information and a cafĂ©. Maiden Gardens, named after botanist and public servant Joseph Henry Maiden, is a Federation style garden.

15 comments:

  1. I love seeing handsome older buildings repurposed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blue and sky and fascinating building ~ glad it was restored ~

    Happy Day to you,
    C & Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colour in your photo. I love autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...a handsome building, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, Jim, you got me on this one. The first word I saw when I clicked here was "abattoir" and I was less than thrilled. However, I read on, and I always find it interesting to know how old buildings are repurposed. This one seems to have led several lives, each progressively less icky, ending in a cafe! I really admire your instinct for interesting buildings.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay. I have a fascination for them, especially the older ones.

      Delete
  6. Good to see a beautiful building is getting a new life and being preserved. Many lovely old structures are bulldozed in the name of progress. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my hometown, there are so many lovely buildings with history that are just abandoned. Glad this lovely one lives on. Great photo of your building and thanks for sharing at Pictorial Tuesday.

    Peabea from Peabea Scribbles

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...