The heritage listed former factory is bounded by Lawson Street, Abercrombie Street, Ivy Street, Wilson Street and Ivy Lane, in the inner city suburb of Darlington. It was built in 1883 in the Federation style as a boot factory for McMurtrie, Kellermann & Co and later converted to a gas meter manufacturing works for Parkinson and Cowan, from the 1920s. In 1964, the building was purchased by Nedor Holdings for manufacturing handbags. During the 1990s, the building was occupied by the Australia Council. In 2002 it was redeveloped for use as residential apartments and offices and is now known as The Foundry.