A view from the cafe in the grounds of Hyde Park Barracks, located along Macquarie Street. This heritage listed building was designed by colonial architect Francis Greenway and constructed by the convict labour between 1818 and 1819. It was the principal barracks for male convicts in the state of New South Wales, working in government employment around Sydney. From 1848 it was a dormitory for newly arrived female immigrants. From 1887 to 1979, state government offices were based here and today it is a museum operated by Sydney Living Museums.