Cadman's Cottage, is one of the few buildings that remain from the early period of the first European settlement at Sydney Cove. It was built in 1816 as the Coxswain’s Barracks, at what was then the water's edge, attached to Governor Macquarie’s dockyard and stores. John Cadman took up residence here in 1827 as Superintendent of Government Craft. From 1845-64, it was the Sydney Water Police Headquarters, and from 1865-1970, the Sydney Sailors’ Home Trust. The plain Georgian architecture was copied from English pattern books and was part of an attempt to build 'respectable' government buildings in the new colony. It was restored in 1972 and is now used as a museum.