The Australian Monument to the Great Irish Famine (1845-1852) is located at the Hyde Park Barracks, along Macquarie Street. The Hyde Park Barracks were originally built to house male convicts in 1818 but were adapted in 1848 to house refugees. The monument commemorates a special emigration scheme designed to resettle over 4,000 destitute girls from the workhouses of Ireland in Australia between 1848 and 1850. This memorial features a dislocated sandstone wall and two glass panels inscribed with the names of 400 of these girls. A table cast in bronze, split in two on either side of the wall, has a simple table with a bowl on one end and a simple institutional table setting with utensils on the other end. It represents an element of continuity and a link between the two sides of the lives of those who immigrated.