Tuesday 14 September 2021

Botanic Gardens, bench

The Henry Kendall memorial seat is located in the Royal Botanic Gardens. The art deco style seat of carved sandstone was commissioned by Mrs A. Hamilton-Grey and designed by Wilfred Rhodes in memory of the poet Henry Kendall. It features two winged horses, Pegasus from Greek mythology, which were carved by L. Bicego in 1939. The back of the seat has inscribed lines from Kendall's works: "All my days have been the days of a laborious life and ever on my struggling soul has burnt the fierce light of this hurried sphere." This bench was previously located near the Woolloomooloo Gate entrance but has been moved outside the PlantClinic now.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to sit down for a while next to one of the winged horses - and I know would not be able to resist patting its head while sitting there... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...