The Capitol Theatre is located along Campbell Street, in the inner city suburb of Haymarket. It was originally built in 1892 in the Federation Free Classical architectural style for use as the Belmore Markets. In 1916, the building was converted to a hippodrome designed specifically for the Wirth Bros circus. It was converted into the Capitol Theatre in 1928 by John Eberson, a renowned American designer of theatrically themed theatres. In 1981, a conservation order saved it from demolition and it was restored and reconstructed in the 1990s. It has recently been hosting another run of the successful musical Cats.