The Hyde Park Obelisk is an obelisk located on the western edge of Hyde Park, at the junction of Elizabeth Street and Bathurst Street. This view is from the 14th floor balcony of OTC House, an office building across the road. This monument was unveiled in 1857 by the Lord Mayor, George Thornton and was originally used as a sewerage vent, so was jokingly referred to as Thorton's Scent Bottle. The monument is 22 metres high, including the 6.5 metre high square sandstone base and a filigreed bronze pyramid vent at the top. This obelisk was modelled on Cleopatra's Needle, on the banks of London's Thames River.