Tuesday 28 August 2018

Queen Victoria Building, Royal Clock

The Royal Clock hangs from the glass ceiling of the Queen Victoria Building. This clock was designed by Neil Glasser and made by Thwaites & Reed of Hastings in England. When activated, on the hour between 9am and 9pm, it displays animated scenes of English royalty. The six scenes are: King Cnut commanding the tide to halt; King Harold dying on the field at the Battle of Hastings in 1066; King John signing the Magna Carta in 1215 with Stephen Cardinal Langton present; Henry VIII and his six wives; Queen Elizabeth I knighting Sir Francis Drake aboard the Golden Hind in 1588; The execution of King Charles I in 1649. The Queen Victoria Building was designed by George McRae and completed in 1898 in the Romanesque architectural style replacing the original Sydney markets on this site. It was restored in 1986 and houses retail shops, cafés, and restaurants.

14 comments:

  1. I've seen the clock many times, but I did not know what the animated scenes were about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we visited Sydney at the end of 2016 I used your blog as part of my travel guide, and I'll be doing it again - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Pondside. I'm glad that my blog helped you with your sight seeing.

      Delete
  3. Spouse and I also visited Sydney regularly and saw Queen Victoria Building since it was restored in 1986. Gorgeous shops and clock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favourite buildings and a must visit when we come to Sydney.. wonderful detail here Jim ✨

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful! I'd love to get to Sydney some day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever seen a clock with so many different historical scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and how interesting. Enjoyed reading about the clock and its history.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...