Thursday 16 August 2018

Millers Point, Abraham Mott Hall

Abraham Mott Hall is a community building located where Watson Road meets Argyle Street, in the inner city suburb of Millers Point. The heritage listed building was built in 1904 in the Federation Arts and Crafts architectural style as the Coal Lumpers' Hall for the Coal Lumpers' Union. Coal lumpers were workers who moved coal and played an essential role on the Sydney waterfront. In 1960, it was named to honour Abraham Mott, a well respected local resident who was active in community affairs. The bus shelter along Argyle Street, formerly the Tram Waiting Room at the Millers Point Terminus, was also built in the Federation architectural style.

8 comments:

  1. Nice capture and I also like the design of the community building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Coal Lumpers, a term that I've never heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please comment on my latest post because I really love your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this style building and the history was interesting (and definitely a new word and new information for me as well).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks well kept and the green works well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...