Macquarie Lighthouse is located at South Head, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, in the eastern suburb of Vaucluse. A flagstaff was erected on this site in 1791 with Australia's first and longest operating navigational lighthouse built here in 1818 in sandstone. The current lighthouse was designed by James Barnet as a replica of the original but using stronger materials and first exhibited in 1883. The lighthouse was fully automated in 1976 and in 1989 the lighthouse keepers were withdrawn. The memorial plaque was erected to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the lighthouse.