Friday 19 July 2024

Ashbury, observation tower

This observation tower is located in Peace Park, along Trevenar Street in the inner west suburb of Ashbury. Behind it is the heritage listed Ashfield Reservoir which was built in 1912 and is one of a group of four similar elevated reservoirs in the Sydney Water system. The site was a brick pit and shale quarry from 1910 to 1965. It was used as a rubbish tip until it was filled in and then developed into parkland. In 1986 it was named Peace Park to mark the International Year of Peace.
Linked to: Skywatch Friday, Water Thursday.

12 comments:

  1. Unusual design with the metal ladder me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you could get a good view from the top of that gazebo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The local council describes it as an observation tower so I've relabelled my post.

      Delete
  3. A very substantial gazebo. I wonder what the tall spire on top is used for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. I can't seem to find any information on that.

      Delete
  4. Nice makeover. I noticed many parks in Florida have added playgrounds for children over the last several years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely clear blue sky in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dynamic

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...