Wednesday 31 July 2024

Elizabeth Street, Lawson Place

 

Lawson Place is a commercial building between Elizabeth Street and Phillip Street. This view is of Elizabeth Street which features a Piccolo Me cafe on the ground floor. The building next door was originally home to the Broughton Club which had become the United Services Club by 1907. It became the New South Wales Leagues Club from 1915, housing the rugby league offices and committee rooms, bars, billiards and card rooms and residential quarters. It expanded into this former warehouse building but the club closed in 2015 and it became a Mercure Hotel. After extensive renovations, it became The Sebel Sydney Martin Place hotel in 2024, with its main entrance in Phillip Street.
Linked to: Wordless WednesdayMy Corner of the WorldCommunal Global.

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting building Jim. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realise they'd done it up. I used to work near there. #WednesdayAroundtheWorld

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim - I feel I know more about Australia because of your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit I don't think much of that facade. Rather dreary to my eyes.
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/07/inside-pennsylvania-academy-of-fine-arts.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting building. I always appreciate the architecture you share. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fascinating glimpse into the rich history of Lawson Place! It’s amazing to see how the area has evolved over time, from the Broughton Club to its transformation into The Sebel Sydney Martin Place. The integration of modern amenities like the Piccolo Me cafe adds such a vibrant touch to the historic charm of Elizabeth Street. Thanks for sharing this captivating snapshot of local heritage and contemporary development!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...