Wednesday 27 January 2010

Garden Island, dockyard

Garden Island, located in the eastern suburb of Potts Point, is the home port for the naval fleet based on the east coast of Australia. It is a major marine engineering and refit centre for the Royal Australian Navy and Thales Australia. The island has supported naval activities since 1788 and was originally used as a garden bed to grow food for ship crews. Land was reclaimed between Potts Point and Garden Island to expand the site for engineering facilities. This view is from Mrs Macquarie's Point, across Woolloomooloo Bay.

17 comments:

  1. I like the blue hue from the left image. The crane lifts the picture to the left, I think

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll always get my attention with shots of boats and ships and water...nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not only enough to know, how to build a ship, one has also to have a desire for life.
    Always two hands full of water benath your ship, I'd like to wish you a wonderful Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots. Reminds me of my navy days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dockyard. I haven't been to many dockyard here but this one interesting to visit. Great shots as always, James.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a very busy dockyard! Love the clear blue waters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is one place that hasn'r changed much over the years

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shot and nice blue water and sky;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs Macquarie for whom all the beautiful Christmas light displays were named? Were those from this same place? I must go back and re-read those posts. Isn't it funny, I've never been to Sydney but because of your lovely blog I recognize some of the names and places?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sallie (FullTime-Life), there is definitely a connection. Lachlan Macquarie is an early Governor of the colony and was responsible for much development in Sydney and therefore has many landmarks named after him. Macquarie Street, where all those buildings featured the Christmas lights, was named after him. Mrs Macquaries Point was named after his wife who was also involved in the development of early Sydney and has a few landmarks named after her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...