The Hyde Park Barracks is at the southern end of Macquarie Street. The building was designed by colonial architect Francis Greenway and constructed by the convict labour between 1818 and 1819. It was the principal barracks for male convicts in the state of New South Wales, providing lodgings for convicts working in government employment around Sydney. From 1848 it was a dormitory for newly arrived female immigrants. From 1887 to 1979, state government offices were based here and today it is a museum operated by the Historic Houses Trust.