Thursday 12 May 2011

Botanic Gardens, Queen Elizabeth II Memorial

The Queen Elizabeth II Memorial is a sandstone wall in the Royal Botanic Gardens which was built to commemorate the location where Queen Elizabeth II first set foot on Australian soil in 1954. It was erected by the governments of the Commonwealth of Australia and the state of New South Wales. I suppose it shows how much the queen and the royal family were held in high regard in those days. It stands beside the Fleet Steps which were constructed in 1908 to welcome the Great White Fleet, American Navy's cruise around the world as a diplomatic mission of peace.

10 comments:

  1. The last remaining ship of the Great white Fleet is the battleship Olympia in Philadelphia. Visited it as a child...


    Warm Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    ><}}(°>

    <°)}}><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cloudia, I'm glad to hear someone can relate to this information because the first I'd heard about it was researching this post. I find this Great White Fleet concept quite fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks to show me a bit of Australia, greetings from italy ! ciao

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos Jim, like you I'm finding out about things in Perth that I was not aware of before, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have visited the Botanic Gardens many times, but never noticed the memorial wall. It was interesting to read it’s history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin, I had walked past this wall many times and thought it was just a retaining wall. Then one day I walked up close and noticed the lettering and then a plaque nearby which told the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's awesome to pay a quick visit this site and reading the views of all mates concerning this post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...