This sunset on the Parramatta River is viewed from what remains of the abutment of the first Gladesville Bridge at Howley Park in Drummoyne. The bridge replaced a ferry service that ran across the river from Abbotsford Point to Bedlam Point. It opened in 1881 and was a two lane swing span iron bridge, with a swing at this southern end that opened to allow through ferries, sailing boats and steamers with high funnels. By 1910, the electric tramway travelled across this bridge from the city to Ryde. The second Gladesville Bridge with a clearance of 30 metres was built nearby and opened in 1964.