Friday 23 January 2009

Bass Hill, drive-in cinema

One of the last surviving drive-in cinemas in Sydney was this one in the western suburb of Bass Hill. It closed in 2007 but luckily, I managed to snap this photo before it was demolished a few months ago to redevelop the site into a large residential estate. Drive-in cinemas were very popular in Australia in the 1950s and 1960s. Their popularity declined in the 1980s, as video cassette recorders and tapes increased in popularity. I have some fond memories of my parents taking me to the drive-in cinema at Matraville, as a child back in the 1970s. The only drive-in cinema still open in Sydney is at Blacktown.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the drive in as a child as well. It was probably also Matraville as we lived in the hostel for while before moving to St George.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gawd ... you are both but wee children in comparison to my Methusalah ... I had children by the 1970s ... I am now going to pour myself a stiff red ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...