Friday 6 February 2009

The Downing Centre

The Downing Centre is a large court house complex on Liverpool Street that features local courts, district courts and a law library. This iconic building was originally known as 'The Piazza' and was the site of Mark Foy's department store which operated here from 1909 to 1980. Following its demise, another iconic department store called Grace Brothers traded at this site until 1983 before the building fell into disuse. It was acquired by the New South Wales Justice Department which restored it in 1991 when they converted it into a court.

4 comments:

  1. What I really like about this building are all the words around the trim 2/3 way up: millinery, gloves, etc. It is a gorgeous building: the stairs at the front are very elegant.

    My fathers aunt (Olive) continued to work here well into her 70s simply by lying about her age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting connection. It really is a spectacular building. I often see the media throng out on those stairs, when I walk past in my lunchbreak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I looked athi quickly in the portal it struck me how much it looked like an advertising hoarding and it still does. Really clean lines and light almost surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I looked athi quickly in the portal it struck me how much it looked like an advertising hoarding and it still does. Really clean lines and light almost surreal. Downing Centre Court

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...