Harmony Park is bounded by Brisbane Street, Hunt Street and Goulburn Street, in the inner city suburb of Surry Hills. This view is from Hunt Street with the former Mark Foys department store warehouse behind it and Sydney Tower in the distance between apartment blocks and office buildings located along Liverpool Street. By 1924 this area was a slum, so houses and the network of narrow streets were demolished by the municipal council. Plans to sell the land for warehouses failed when the Great Depression struck and most of the 7½ acres lay empty for decades. The state government bought the site in 1954, used it for a car park and later built the Sydney Police Centre and an electricity substation, to the east. The council bought this part of the site back and in 2006 opened Harmony Park, named in recognition of the area's history and cultural and social diversity.