The Old School is located along Maze Crescent and is part of the University of Sydney campus, in the inner city suburb of Darlington. It was originally the Darlington Public School designed by George Allan Mansfield and built in 1878 in the Gothic Revival architectural style. At the end of 1975 the school, which was in a poor state of repair, was transferred to the university. The building was renovated in 1978 for use by the Department of Music and as a theatre workshop. The small granite water fountain or bubbler near the gates is "Erected to the Memory of David and Jessie Edward, pioneer residents of Darlington".