Sunday 18 September 2016

Ashfield, St John the Baptist Anglican Church, war memorial

This war memorial stands on the grounds of St John the Baptist Anglican Church along Alt Street, in the inner west suburb of Ashfield. The church was built in 1843 with a bell tower and entrance added in 1901. The cenotaph dedication reads: In everlasting tribute to those parishioners of St. John's Church of England Ashfield who served in the fighting forces of Australia during the 2nd World War 1939 - 1945.

13 comments:

  1. It is very nice, and the background is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very glad they left a large, open space around the war memorial, with a refreshing treescape all around. The WW2 parents and widows would have appreciated having a place to memorialise and "visit" their sons and husbands

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this central, garden dignity given the memorial. Attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely memorial, its style so dignified - as those parishioners who served in the fighting forces during the war...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jim!
    Beautiful memorial.
    thank you, that I could see it.
    Happy Sunday :)
    Lucja

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely memorial. It's not often that I see them on church property but there's no reason for them not to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love war memorials. This reminds me of one in Normandy that is also on church grounds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...