Newington Armory is located at the end of Jamieson Street, in the western suburb of Sydney Olympic Park. The Gunpowder Magazine was constructed in 1897 in the Federation style for the New South Wales Military Forces. It consists of three wide barrel-vaulted store rooms. The building is surrounded by flying buttresses added later, apparently to give extra support to the vaults, and by earthen banks to contain blasts. The site was vacated in 1996 with part of the land redeveloped as the Sydney 2000 Olympics Athlete's Village, now the suburb of Newington. The heritage-listed depot is now used for tourism.