Sunday 20 November 2022

Tamarama, Marks Park, memorial


The 'Bondi Memorial: Rise' is located in Marks Park, in the eastern suburb of Tamarama. It was designed by artist John Nicholson and installed in 2022 to honour the victims of the gay hate murders and violence in Sydney from the 1970s to 1990s. The stone terraces replicate the exact topography of the rock face strata of the cliffs below Marks Park where a number of gay men were thrown to their deaths. This memorial also serves to raise greater community awareness of the issue of LGBTQ hate crimes, promote the continuing need to pursue the truth and justice, and serve as a reminder of the importance of valuing and celebrating diversity in our community.

7 comments:

  1. I watched an aussie cop show about that a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got a good memory, Stefan. It was a miniseries called "Deep Water" made in 2016.

      Delete
  2. Gay rights and homophobia is something I will defend as one of my late uncles was gay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great memorial, I googled and found the story of the memorial and why it is there. Wow, just wow, is all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Thrown off… that’s horrific.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...