Sunday 22 January 2023

Kurnell, Banks Monument

The Banks Monument is located in the Kamay Botany Bay National Park, in the southern suburb of Kurnell. Joseph Banks was a botanist on the expedition of the Endeavour led by James Cook that explored the eastern coast of Australia in 1770 and landed here at Botany Bay. The memorial was unveiled in 1947 and consists of a column and semi-circular seat of polished trachyte, with an oval floor. A bronze head of Sir Joseph Banks decorates the column, with an explanatory plaque.

10 comments:

  1. I have not heard of the Banks Monument, but I am impressed with the idea of a seat where people can sit... and watch the national park at their leisure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to see a monument dedicated to a botanist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice design and a perfect place for a botanist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect location for a botanist, and I like the built in bench.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic monument.
    Fun fact, I grew up just up the road from where James Cook was born. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think he documented over 2000 'new' species of plants...brain is sketchy so might need to google that.... thanks for joining #Allseasons

    ReplyDelete
  7. One day in the far far future I hope to visit Australia! Thanks for sharing and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice monument, but if it were up to me, I would have surrounded it with a profusion of our native flora, which Banks described so well in his botanical publications. Thank you for taking part in the "My Sunday Best" meme.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...