Sunday 8 January 2023

St James, Homeless Jesus


Homeless Jesus” is a bronze sculpture near the King Street entrance of St James Anglican Church. It was created by Canadian artist Timothy Schmalz and unveiled in 2018. Over 100 Homeless Jesus statues have been installed throughout the world inculding Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Italy (in the Vatican), Spain and Poland. The sculpture is intended to be a translation of a chapter of the bible where Jesus likens himself to a homeless person to teach about the need for compassion.
Linked to: Shadow Shot SundaySunday Best, My Sunday Snapshot.

12 comments:

  1. It makes a point. Some people have very little compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The place where Jesus tells of not having a pillow for his head?
    Meaning His disciples wouldn't get rich following Jesus around.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would probably know better than I do, Jim. The chapter is Matthew 25.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's immaculate so I'd say caretakers make sure it stays clean.

      Delete
  4. Great shadows. Quite a depressing sculpture though, as I see people sleeping just the same in my city, so it's too close to home, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's truly a touching image, Jim, compassion is such an important sentiment, I think not so common nowadays, alas!
    Sending hugs
    Daniela at ~ My little old world ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember, years ago, my aunt (a social worker) pointing out where homeless people in her small Iowa city lived at night. The shadow is like an additional blanket for the homeless statue man.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...