The upper entrance to Taronga Zoo, in the north shore suburb of Mosman. Sydney's original zoo was established in 1800 on seven acres of land at Billy Goat Swamp in Moore Park. By the beginning of the 20th century, the Zoo had outgrown its site and plans were made to exchange the land to Aston Park at Mosman. Taronga Zoo was officially opened on 7 October, 1916. Taronga is an Aboriginal word meaning beautiful view.