Sunday 10 March 2024

The Rocks, First Impressions, The Convict

"First Impressions" is a sculpture located in Playfair Street in The Rocks. This sandstone relief was created by Bud Dumas in 1979 as a memorial to the convicts, soldiers and settlers who made up the original settlement at The Rocks. This side of the sculpture features "The Convict". The First Fleet arrived in 1788 with 780 convicts, along with soldiers and settlers. This monument also features "The Settlers" and "The Soldier".
Linked to: Shadow Shot Sunday, Sunday BestMy Sunday Snapshot.

10 comments:

  1. Nice to see the history. I'm thinking it was hard work back then for those convicts being in a new country that was the opposite of where they had come from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! And it casts a shadow while looking like a shadow itself. I see it's been years since you posted the others, maybe it's time to show us again, after all, they have shadows! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I was here, the sculpture was in complete shadow so I didn't like those photos enough to post. This time it had reflections from the windows of a building, lighting it up.

      Delete
  3. I like the lighting here - the art looks like it was created by a shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got the exact right look here. Great shadows.
    I cannot imagine the misery that the convicts went through to get to Australia back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, does the other sides also have some artwork on it?
    Thanks so much for participating and sharing at #18 InLinkz #WordlessWednesday (Words are also welcome). See you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. If you click on the links in the post you can see the other two sides.

      Delete
  6. I love how they have captured the cowboy in the wood - Thank you for sharing and thanks for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice shot, Jim. It's been a few years since I was in Sydney, must be time for a visit soon! Thanks for taking part in the "My Sunday Best" meme.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...