These heritage listed buildings, built in the Federation Free Classical architectural style, are located along George Street at The Rocks. In 1988, a large commercial building called the DFS Galleria (Duty Free Store) was erected behind them with the shopfront facades retained and the buildings incorporated into the complex. The former New York Hotel built in 1908 has a five storey tower section and a lower three storey section splayed at a slight angle to follow the change in the alignment of the street. The three storey Quay Chambers building was built in 1913. The shop and residence with the arched balcony and window along with the three storey shop and residence on the corner of Globe Street were built in 1914.