The Rocks, Australian Steamship Navigation Company building
The Australian Steamship Navigation Company building (ASNC) is located on the corner of Hickson Road and George Street at The Rocks. This warehouse and office building was designed by William Wardell in the Federation Anglo-Dutch style and completed in 1884. It was later used as Government Ordnance Stores and in 1906 the Department of Defence moved in. It was converted to office space and from 1950 was occupied by the Australian Commonwealth Offices for the Department of Works and Housing. It was acquired by the Sydney Cove Redevelopment Authority in 1989, who restored it in 1991-92 to its original appearance. It now has galleries, retail space and restaurants at street level on Hickson Road and Circular Quay West and commercial offices on the upper floors.