This sewer vent in the middle of a golf course, dominates the skyline in the eastern suburb of North Bondi. It was built at the end of the 19th century for the Bondi Ocean Outfall Sewer. By the late 1800s, the five outfall sewers which drained into Sydney Harbour had grossly polluted it. As replacements, the Southern Outfall Sewer was constructed in 1886 including an experimental sewage farm, followed by the Bondi Ocean Outfall Sewer in 1889 and the Western Suburbs Outfall Sewer in 1898. Sewer vents introduce a flow of fresh air through sewers to reduce the production of noxious and corrosive gases by enabling their release. The similar vent for the Southern Outfall Sewer can be seen here.