Monday 16 March 2009

Leichhardt, Italian Forum






The Italian Forum is in the inner-west suburb of Leichhardt, which features a large Italian community. This plaza emulates the style of an Italian village, with the courtyard as the town piazza providing outdoor dining for the restaurants and cafes (above). The entrance to the Italian Forum (left) is on Norton Street, which is known as Sydney's Little Italy. The Leichhardt Public Library (below) is also located here, along with a number of shops and boutiques on the upper levels, overlooked by residential apartments.

Harmony Day, which is celebrated on 21st March each year, celebrates cultural diversity and the cohesive and inclusive nature of Australia. To commemorate this, over the next week I'm going to share some photos of culturally diverse places and buildings in Sydney. Italians migrated to Australia in large numbers after World War 2 and many originally settled in the inner west suburbs of Sydney such as Leichhardt.


11 comments:

  1. An interesting spot, the Italian Forum. Nothing like anything that I saw in Italy a couple of years ago, though. Every time I have been there it has been teeming with people and with kids. You have captured a moment of serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Julie, it was a rare moment of serenity but it took some work. I happened to be there on a weekday when it's a bit quieter and I actually waited around for a while to take these perfect shots, without any people strolling past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for this weeks photos. I guess they serve some nice Italian food there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes they do Steffe. One of my favourite Italian restaurants, Sapore, is located at the Italian Forum. Leichhardt has great Italian food at the restaurants, cafes, bars and gelato shops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi J Bar. I'm a freelance photo researcher for Macmillan Education Australia (educational publisher) and I'm trying to find a photo of Leichhardt Forum to include in one of our primary school books. You have some fantastic photos and I was wondering if we would have your permission to use one in our publication? I can email you all the details if you like? Sorry to post here but I couldn't find a contact email for you. If you could let me know asap, that would be great! Thanks so much, hope to hear from you soon.

    Claire Armstrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claire, leave me your email address and I'll contact you. Otherwise, if you can wait a few days, I've applied to have a contact method set up on this blog. I don't advertise my email address directly because I'm worried about getting deluged with spam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the quick reply J Bar. It might be best if I wait a few days until you set up your contact via the blog as I want to avoid the spam too! Let me know when it's done and I'll be in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No worries, Claire. I've now set up a 'Contact Me' link next to my profile, which will allow you to send me an email.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who is not hard to tell me how to set a bookmark in the profile , but what then e is obtained ?

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...