The Embassy Conference Centre is a historic building on George Street, in the inner city suburb of Ultimo. Designed by Varney Parkes, the son of Sir Henry Parkes, it was originally built as a branch of the Bank of New South Wales in 1894. The Federation Romanesque design of the facade reflects the boom period of the late 1800s. A gold smelting and assaying department, established at this Railway Square branch in 1915, provided the best facilities for the treatment of gold coming from mines in Australia and New Guinea. It is now a venue for hire for meetings, seminars and conferences.