Thursday 31 March 2011

Sans Souci, cannon

This cannon barrel stands as a monument in Cook Park on the shore of the Georges River. It is located near the mouth of the river at Botany Bay, in the southern suburb of Sans Souci. The barrel came from the HMS Wolverine, flagship of the Australian Squadron 1876-1881. HMS Wolverine was built at Woolwich dock, England in 1863 as a three masted steam corvette with 21 guns and a flush deck. When it arrived in Sydney it served as a training ship for the naval brigade. It was sold off in 1895 and when it became unseaworthy ended up in Auckland, New Zealand. It was dismantled at Brick Bay, later renamed Stanley Bay.

15 comments:

  1. a bit of history survives to connect us to the past...nice shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot and I really enjoy reading the history you post with some of your photos, Jim.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your photos are beautiful and I am really enjoying the subjects that you chose. I've been scrolling down. You have some pretty neat things to photograph around your area.

    Thanks so much for your visit!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see these non touristy places and learning a bit of the background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. boom - looks like it has fired a big concrete cannonball

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you noticed that, Peter. There are actually two of those concrete balls out the front of the cannon, which I assume were placed there to enhance it as a monument.

    ReplyDelete
  7. past, present and future.


    please hav eyou all a good and peaceful thursday.


    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful picture and now though I have to go look up what Sans Souci means. I sort of remember a poem I learned in high school or college with the phase 'San Souci' in it. (Long long time ago.) Wow, If I figure it out I'll let you know ;>) Or not!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, couldn't find a poem, but learned that sans souci means 'without worries' which certainly seems appropriate to this beautiful spot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...