Wednesday 17 May 2023

The Rocks, The Russell Hotel

The Russell Hotel is located on the corner of George Street and Globe Street in The Rocks. This heritage listed building was built in 1887 in the Queen Anne style and operated as the Port Jackson Hotel until 1923. The ground floor had been used as a cafe for many decades and from 1933 provided accommodation on the upper floors when it became the Russell Private Hotel. The ground floor became a Japanese Bookshop in the 1980s but was converted back to a cafe in 1992 and then became a bar and restaurant. It is now known as The Russell Boutique Hotel but is currently closed for renovations.

10 comments:

  1. I like the gothic looking architecture. Will it re-open as a hotel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the website says it is just closed for renovations.

      Delete
  2. I really like this building! It's a beautiful structure - so glad they're renovating rather than destroying it!
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/05/spring-at-duke-gardens.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful building with a detailed history for it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice place. Fantastic architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great architecture and such history ~ good photo too ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this place! The names of the styles confuse me, but I know I love the older buildings :)

    Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful building! I like that it's rather pink.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...